Have you been charged with Murder?
Have you been charged with murder? Are you not sure what to do? In Florida, it is the unlawful killing of a human being. In Florida there are different degrees of Murder depending on how the crime is committed.
In Florida, First Degree Murder is premeditated murder, felony murder and murder committed during drug related offenses.
- Premeditated Murder: To prove premeditated murder, the prosecution must show that the defendant prepared to commit the crime and had the intent to commit murder. Evidence must be shown that the defendant took steps to commit the murder and had a plan to commit murder.
- Felony Murder: is when the defendant commits a murder during the commission of a felony. Some of the felonies include:
- Home-invasion Robbery
- Sexual Battery
- Aggravated child abuse
- Aggravated abuse of an elderly person or disabled adult
- Aggravated Stalking
- Murder of another human being
- Resisting officer with violence to his or her person
The defendant does not need to have participated in the killing itself. This means that if a co-defendant killed during the commission of a felony, you will also be charged with murder.
- If a murder is caused during a drug deal or the unlawful distribution of
drugs, the defendant will be charged with first-degree murder. Theses drug offenses include cocaine and opium. An example of this scenario is if a drug dealer sells drugs to someone and that person overdoses, the state will likely charge you with first-degree murder.
First-degree murder is a capital felony. A capital felony is punished by life in prison without the possibility of parole or the death penalty.
In Florida, Second Degree Murder is the unlawful killing of a human being when committed by an act that is imminently dangerous to another and depraved mind of human life. This means that the defendant acted with reckless disregard for human life.
Second Degree Murder is punished my prison, the time is not exceed life in prison.
At The Hoffman Firm, we have helped clients that have been charged with murder throughout South Florida. If you find yourself in this situation, it is important to have someone that will help and guide you through process. It is essential to have someone that will be your voice and has the experience of representing South Florida residents. We are dedicated to providing you with the best help and are compassionate of your needs throughout this process. Call us now at (305) 249-0090 or contact us online to set up your free, confidential consultation now.
Evan A. Hoffman
Mr. Hoffman’s philosophy is "our knowledge and experience is your best defense." He has been a featured author on criminal law issues such as driving under the influence, domestic violence and illegal searches.Read More
Attorney featured on:
If you received any kind of traffic violation in the Miami area call The Hoffman Firm today.Find out more