Put a Skilled and Trial-Proven Attorney in Your Corner
Miami Kidnapping Attorney
Protect the Rights & Freedom of Our Clients in Miami & Fort Lauderdale
Any alleged kidnapping is a felony offense in Florida subject to extremely harsh punishments. People convicted of these crimes can be sentenced to decades—or possibly even life—in prison.
Many of these types of cases involve alleged offenders who are related to the alleged victims, with disputes often arising during contentious divorce or child custody proceedings. Prosecutors aggressively pursue maximum punishments in these cases, even when the evidence might not support such serious criminal charges.
If you think you might be under investigation or you were already arrested in Miami or Fort Lauderdale for allegedly committing a kidnapping offense, it is in your best interest to immediately retain legal counsel for help fighting to get the criminal charges reduced or dismissed. Attorney Evan Hoffman is a skilled criminal defense attorney who understands how prosecutors handle these cases because of his prior experience as an Assistant State Attorney for the Broward County State Attorney’s Office.
For more information about our firm, contact The Hoffman Firm today.
Florida Kidnapping Charges
Under Florida Statute § 787.01, alleged offenders can be charged with kidnapping if they forcibly, secretly, or by threat confine, abduct, or imprison another person against her or his will and without lawful authority, with intent to do one of the following:
- Hold the alleged victim for ransom or reward or as a shield or hostage;
- Commit or facilitate commission of any felony;
- Inflict bodily harm upon or to terrorize the alleged victim or another person; or
- Interfere with the performance of any governmental or political function.
When it is alleged that a person kidnapped another party with the intent to commit or facilitate the commission of any felony, the Florida Standard Jury Instructions stipulate that the prosecution must also prove that, the confinement, abduction, or imprisonment:
- must not be slight, inconsequential, or merely incidental to the alleged felony;
- must not be of the kind inherent in the nature of the alleged felony; and
- must have some significance independent of the alleged felony in that it makes the alleged felony substantially easier of commission or substantially lessens the risk of detection.
Kidnapping is a first-degree felony offense punishable by up to 30 years or life in prison and/or a fine of up to $10,000.
Kidnapping a Child Under the Age of 13 in Florida
Kidnapping becomes a life felony if the alleged victim is a child under the age of 13 and the alleged offender, in the course of committing the offense, commits one or more of the following:
- Aggravated child abuse;
- Sexual battery against the child;
- Lewd or lascivious battery;
- Lewd or lascivious molestation;
- Lewd or lascivious conduct;
- Lewd or lascivious exhibition;
- Procuring a child for prostitution;
- Forcing, compelling, or coercing another to become a prostitute;
- Exploitation of a child; or
- Human trafficking for commercial sexual activity.
A life felony offense is punishable by life in prison and/or a fine of up to $15,000. Any alleged use of a firearm or other deadly weapon in an alleged kidnapping offense can increase the possible sentence for a conviction.
Ready to Fight for You Today
Our Miami assault defense lawyer is a former prosecutor who can fight to get these criminal charges significantly reduced or completely dismissed. If you schedule a free consultation, he can review your case and discuss all your legal options.
Call (305) 928-1669 today to request a free consultation.
Why Should You Hire The Hoffman Firm? Here Are a Few Reasons:
Client-Focused RepresentationOur Firm is dedicated to client satisfaction. We are available 24/7 to help those in need.
Decades of ExperienceAttorney Evan Hoffman has over two decades of experience fighting for the accused.
Premier Criminal Defense FirmExperienced Attorney Evan Hoffman has handled some of the most high profile and complex cases.
Proven Track RecordClient satisfaction is our top priority. At The Hoffman Firm we take great pride in our success and case victories.
Florida Former State ProsecutorAttorney Evan Hoffman has extensive knowledge of the strategies used by prosecutors throughout Florida.
Free Initial ConsultationWe offer free initial consultations to ensure that we have your best interests in mind.