Fort Lauderdale DUI Attorney
Legal Counsel Available 24/7
In 2018, law enforcement officers arrested over 32,000 Floridians for driving under the influence. DUI charges have serious consequences, and the state of Florida has little sympathy for drivers who choose to break the law.
If you have been arrested or accused of driving under the influence, you must speak to an attorney as soon as possible. The Hoffman Firm has over two decades of experience working with clients to help them potentially get the charges reduced or dismissed. Our attorney is proud to aggressively defend clients in Ft. Lauderdale and the surrounding areas.
Call The Hoffman Firm at (305) 928-1669 for legal counsel you can trust.
DUIs in Florida
According to Florida law, a driver is guilty of a DUI if he or she is actively operating the vehicle while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. The blood alcohol concentration or BAC quantifies the level of intoxication. If a driver has a BAC of 0.08 or higher, he or she is driving under the influence.
Police officers can also gauge intoxication with field sobriety tests, but BAC is typically the most reliable measure of intoxication. The legal limit in Florida varies depending on the age or occupation of the driver. For example, minors who drive with a BAC of 0.02 are legally intoxicated. If the officer has reasonable suspicion to assume that controlled or illegal substances are involved, they may require a blood test. Never undergo a blood test or any other evaluations without a lawyer present.
How do Attorneys Defend DUI Cases?
Being accused of driving under the influence can feel like the end of the line, but law enforcement officers have to follow strict guidelines for DUI arrests, and any errors can result in the case being dismissed. There are no legal defenses guaranteed to win your case, but the law does offer strict guidelines for how cases are handled. This can often work to your advantage.
Defenses against DUI charges may include:
- Probable Cause: This is a legal term that refers to objective circumstances that suggest criminal activity. In other words, the officer finds proof of a possible crime that leads to an arrest or a warrant. If the arresting officer in your case did not have probable cause to suggest driving under the influence, your attorney could make the case that any evidence collected during the arrest be inadmissible.
- Test Error: Like all other scientific inquiries, chemical tests must follow specific procedures and steps to be accurate. If there is an error during the test, the results will not be upheld in a court of law. In some cases, the arresting officer may not perform a chemical test correctly or fails to maintain the breathalyzer machine. If this is the case, any evidence from the chemical test is inaccurate.
If you have been charged with a DUI, you must speak with an attorney. A qualified legal professional can build a strong defense on your behalf to lessen the sentence or eliminate the charges. However, building a defense becomes difficult if you incriminate yourself in the presence of an officer. Always contact an attorney as soon as possible after the arrest to avoid self-incrimination.
DUI Cases We Handle
Not all DUI cases are the same, and many people may find themselves in a tough situation that requires a strategic solution. The Hoffman Firm has experience with a variety of cases, and we can provide the solution you need for your specific situation.
Our attorney defends the following cases:
- First Offense DUIs
- Second Offense DUIs
- Third and Fourth Offense DUIs
- Underage DUIs
- DUI manslaughter
- Commercial DUIs
- Out of state DUIs
- DUI with a minor passenger
- Boating under the influence
- Driving under the influence of a controlled substance
- And more
We Have Your Back
Whether you are facing a misdemeanor or felony level DUI, our firm has the experience you need. We offer client-focused representation and 24/7 service to meet your needs whenever and wherever you need us most. With a proven track record of success and decades of experience, the Fort Lauderdale legal team can create a case strategy to fit your unique situation. Our firm investigates the details of your case and aggressively advocates for you in and out of court.
Don’t hesitate – contact The Hoffman Firm today for a free initial consultation.