The Hoffman Firm The Hoffman Firm

Disorderly Conduct

Have you been charged with disorderly conduct? Are you not sure what to do? In Florida, disorderly conduct is any act that corrupts public morals. So what exactly does this mean? Disorderly conduct is any conduct that a reasonable person would find to be indecent or stir up trouble in the public. Some of these acts include loud arguments in public, being intoxicated in public or being aggressive with police. Disorderly conduct includes any act that affects the public peace or interferes with the public’s enjoyment of their quiet time while being in public.

In Florida, examples of disorderly conduct include:

  • Inciting a Riot
  • Disturbance of the Peace by using obscene or abusive language
  • Fighting or Physical Altercations in public
  • Obstructing Traffic
  • Any loud or unreasonable noise in public

Disorderly conduct also includes when anyone participates in fight or brawl in public. This is considered to be an affray. An affray is an instance of fighting in a public place that disturbs the peace. If charged with disorderly conduct as an affray, it can be punished by as a first-degree misdemeanor. A first-degree misdemeanor is punishable up to one year in prison or a $1,000 fine. A public fight or brawl can also be considered as a riot. A riot is a violent disturbance of the peace by a crowd. It can be punished by a felony and will receive a harsher punishment.

In Florida, defendants charged with disorderly conduct can argue self-defense, freedom of speech or that the act did not occur in a public space which is an important element of the crime. Self -defense is protecting yourself from harm. The first amendment gives you the constitutional right to speak openly in public but that does not include unreasonable noise or disturbance.

Disorderly conduct is punishable as a second-degree misdemeanor. A second-degree misdemeanor is punishable up to 60 days in prison or a fine up to $500.

At The Hoffman Firm, we have helped clients that have been charged with disorderly conduct against them throughout South Florida. If you find yourself in this situation, it is important to have someone that will help and guide you through the process. It is essential to have someone that will be your voice and has the experience of representing South Florida residents. We are dedicated to providing you with the best help and are compassionate about your needs throughout this process.

Call us now at (305) 928-1669 or contact us online to set up your free, confidential consultation now.