Miami Marijuana Trafficking Lawyer
Also Fighting for Clients throughout Fort Lauderdale
While many arrests relating to marijuana in Florida are misdemeanors for simple possession, cases involving larger amounts result in more serious criminal charges. Drug trafficking crimes are felonies in Florida and are based on how much the person had on them at the time of the arrest, regardless of their alleged intent to sell or distribute it. At The Hoffman Firm, our Miami marijuana trafficking lawyer has the in-depth knowledge and insights to help you prove your side of the story and avoid a criminal conviction.
Contact an attorney immediately to ensure your freedom and escape legal penalties. Call (305) 928-1669 or fill out our online contact form if you are in Miami. Call 954-737-3004 if you are in Broward County. Se habla español.
People who possess more than 25 pounds of marijuana or 300 cannabis plants can be charged with trafficking in cannabis. If convicted, they face mandatory minimum prison sentences, fines, and the challenge of living with a criminal record.
Florida Marijuana Trafficking Penalties
Florida Statute § 893.135 establishes that a person who knowingly sells, purchases, manufactures, delivers, or brings into Florida, or who is knowingly in actual or constructive possession of, in excess of 25 pounds of cannabis, or 300 or more cannabis plants, commits the crime of trafficking in cannabis.
Consequences are based on the amount involved, including:
- 25-2,000 pounds or 300-2,000 cannabis plants — 3-30 years in prison and fine of $25,000
- 2,000-10,000 pounds or 2,000-10,000 cannabis plants — 7-30 years in prison and fine of $50,000
- 10,000 pounds or more or 10,000 or more cannabis plants — 15-30 years in prison and fine of $200,000
Trafficking Penalties in Miami
The Marijuana Grow House Eradication Act prohibits people from owning or possessing places, structures, trailers, or other described places with knowledge that the places will be used to traffic in cannabis. Possession of 25 or more cannabis plants constitutes prima facie evidence of intent to sell or distribute—regardless of the stage of growth of those plants.
Individuals who own property utilized for marijuana trafficking could face:
- Owning, leasing, or renting any place, structure, or part thereof, trailer, or other conveyance with the knowledge that the place, structure, trailer, or conveyance will be used for the purpose of trafficking in cannabis is a third degree felony punishable by up to 5 years in prison and/or a fine of up to $5,000
- Knowingly being in actual or constructive possession of any place, structure, or part thereof, trailer, or other conveyance with the knowledge that the place, structure, or part thereof, trailer, or conveyance will be used for the purpose of trafficking in cannabis is a second degree felony punishable by up to 15 years in prison and/or a fine of up to $10,000
- Being in actual or constructive possession of a place, structure, trailer, or conveyance with the knowledge that the place, structure, trailer, or conveyance is being used to manufacture cannabis intended for sale or distribution to another and knowing or having should have known that a minor is present or resides in the place, structure, trailer, or conveyance is a first degree felony punishable by up to 30 years in prison and/or a fine of up to $10,000
Plan your defense strategy today by calling (305) 928-1669 if you are Miami. Call 954-737-3004 if you are in Broward County.
Our Firm is dedicated to client satisfaction. We are available 24/7 to help those in need.
Decades of Experience
Attorney Evan Hoffman has over two decades of experience fighting for the accused.
Premier Criminal Defense Firm
Experienced Attorney Evan Hoffman has handled some of the most high profile and complex cases.
Proven Track Record
Client satisfaction is our top priority. At The Hoffman Firm we take great pride in our success and case victories.
Florida Former State Prosecutor
Attorney Evan Hoffman has extensive knowledge of the strategies used by prosecutors throughout Florida.
Free Initial Consultation
We offer free initial consultations to ensure that we have your best interests in mind.